Information for Professionals
Stages of Change Model
This model can be used to help guide a person who is making any significant life changes. The professional identifies what stage the person is in by what they are saying, and uses appropriate strategies for each stage to help guide them to better health.
- Pre-contemplation- A person is not even thinking about a change.
- Contemplation- A person is thinking about a change but not ready to make it.
- Preparation- A person is ready to change and planning how to do it.
- Action- A person is actively making the change.
- Maintenance- A person is sustaining the change over the long term.
For more information, check the online self-directed tutorial available through the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Stages of Change.