The Township of Ignace issues permits for the health, safety and protection of all our residents and community as a whole.
You need a Building Permit for most projects. No construction can take place until a building permit has been applied for, and obtained in accordance with the Building Code Act. The Building Code Act is enforced by the Township of Ignace.
The Ontario Building Code, the Municipal Zoning By-Law and other by-laws and statues regulate the various aspects of construction.
When and Why is a Permit Needed?
You will need a Building Permit if you are constructing or installing the following:
- New Buildings or Structures
- Accessory Buildings and Structures larger than 108 square feet
- Wood Decks greater than 600 mm (24 inches) above grade level
- Additions to existing structures
- Adding a Basement Apartment or Secondary Dwelling Unit
- Renovations where insulation/vapour barrier are affected
- Plumbing, new plumbing and plumbing alterations
- Structural Alterations
- Prefabricated Structures
- Solid fuel burning appliances
- Fire Separations
- Exit Facilities
- Fire Protection Systems
- Swimming Pools (Public)
- Fencing around residential swimming pools
- Designated Structures
Applications for Building Permits are available on our website.
The Building By-Law has more information on Building Permits and Permit Fees.
There may be other fees owing for connections, entrances, and encroachments when you are constructing, and these can be discussed with Municipal staff when you apply for a building permit.
Staff are able to help you identify other approvals and permits needed such as:
- Sewage disposal permit from Northwestern Health Unit
- Entrance and use permits from Ministry of Transportation and other Ministries
- "Call Before You Dig" to locate buried utilities, etc.1-800-400-2255 (ON1Call)
Please contact the Chief Building Official for more information at 807-934-2202 ext. 1023.
You do not need a Building Permit for:
- Painting and decorating
- Construction or Demolition of:
- Structures less than 108 square feet without plumbing
- Sheds or trailers required for construction projects
- Retaining wall not exceeding 1000 mm (3ft 3 in) in exposed height
- decks that are smaller than 200 square feet and less than 2 feet high around all edges from the ground where the ground does not slope more than 20% for 5 feet around these edges,
- Replacement millwork and cabinets without plumbing
- hot water heaters
- oil or gas fired appliances
- shingling of roofs of residential buildings
- same size doors and windows
The Township of Ignace takes pride in keeping its community beautiful, live-able and sustainable. Our Property Standard By-law is responsible for enforcing property maintenance standards to ensure our community remains in good condition.
Questions or concerns regarding a specific property can be forwarded to the Chief Building Official.
Thank you for helping to keep Ignace beautiful.