Understanding Your Property Tax Bills
WHO PAYS TAX?
All property owners are obligated to pay taxes to the Town. Tax bills are issued to cover the costs of Township, Regional and Educational services. Property owners must pay tax even if they don't use all the services provided.
Residents of the Township of Ignace receive two property tax bills each year. The first is mailed the week of February 27th and the second the week of August 22nd. Until the Township’s annual budget and provincial education tax rates are set, individual property taxes cannot be calculated. That is why residents receive two tax bills, to be paid in four installments during the year.
Please Note: Supplementary and omitted bills, issued throughout the year, are issued to owners of newly created properties or properties that have had physical alterations made that were not reflected on the interim and final bills. Generally, supplementary bills refer to the current tax year and omitted bills refer to previous years. Residents may receive three to four bills at different times throughout the year, depending on when the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) provides assessment information to the Town.
Supplementary and omitted tax bills can be retroactive for the current year and the past two years. These bills have one installment date that is shown on the bill, and do not reflect any previous account balance at the time of billing.
WHAT DOES MY TAX BILL SHOW ME?
Bills issued by the town contain the following information:
- The name(s) of the property owner (if there are multiple owners, only the first two will appear)
- Assessed value and tax class assigned by the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC)
- Account number, roll number and legal description of the property
- Breakdown of the tax bill payable to the town, region and school boards
- Account balance at the time the tax bill is produced (except on omitted and supplementary bills)
- Amount of each tax installment and the date on which each is payable
- Contact information for the Township of Ignace Municipal Office
WHAT IS AN INTERIM TAX BILL?
The first bill residents will receive is the Interim Tax Bill. This is calculated using the 2018 assessment roll and a portion of the previous year's tax rate. This helps fund Township services until the final tax bill is complete in the summer.
The Interim Tax Bill is mailed in February with two installment due dates.
|Interim Tax Bill||Due Date|
|First Instalment||March 30, 2018|
|Second Instalment||April 30, 2018|
WHAT IS A FINAL TAX BILL?
The Final Tax Bill will be mailed to residents once Council passes the municipal budget for the year, and the provincial government sets the education tax rate, which typically happens in the spring.
The Final Tax Bill is mailed in August, includes two more installment due dates and identifies any outstanding or credit account balances at the time of billing.
|Final Tax Bill||Due Date|
|First Instalment||September 28, 2018|
|Second Instalment||October 31, 2018|
MAILING OF TAX BILLS:
- In accordance with Section 343 (6) & (8) of the Ontario Municipal Act, 2001, the tax bill will be mailed to the taxpayer's residence or place of business or to the premises in respect of which the taxes are payable, unless the taxpayer directs the treasurer in writing to send the bill to another address, in which case it shall be sent to that address.
- Failure to receive the tax bill does not relieve the property owner from payment of taxes or liability for penalty on late payment.
- Need to change your Mailing Address? Please contact the Municipal Office at 807-934-2202 to request, complete and submit a Change of Address Form.
HOW DO I PAY MY TAX BILL?
- Effective Friday, 10th August, 2018 the Township of Ignace no longer accepts Visa Credit/Debit or Master Card Credit payments at the Municipal Office. This measure was passed during the adoption of the 2018 Budget at the Council Meeting held on Monday, 9th July, 2018. Acceptable payments at the Municipal Office now include cash, Interact/Debit, cheques and Pre-Authorized debit only. The Township does not accept third party cheques.
- At most Canadian Chartered Banks.
- On-Line Banking Payment Services.
Please note the Municipal Office is open Monday to Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, except on statutory holidays, and is closed from 12:30 pm to 1:30 pm for lunch.