Located at 121 Lily Pad Road, the Public Works Department is responsible for the municipal infrastructure and works to ensure that essential services are continuously available in the community.
This department is vital as its activities affect almost every aspect of the daily life of Ignace residents. Public Works is in charge of roads, water, sewer, ditching, waste disposal site, parks and beaches, cemeteries and municipal buildings.
Responsible for preserving the municipal cemeteries on behalf of the community. We take pride in sustaining the beauty and dignity of our cemeteries.
Water and Sanitary Distribution System
Township of Ignace has contracted Northern Waterworks Inc. to oversee the Water and Sewer distribution system in Ignace. The team ensures the residents of Ignace are provided with safe drinking water, as well as the sanitary sewer system is operational within the township.
Public Works Department:
- Repairs to the water and sanitary sewer distribution system
- Complete water turn on and off requests
- Complete Neptune water meter installs and readings
- Respond to emergency situations, such as sewer back ups, watermain breaks
- Residential and Commercial waste collection services
- Maintenance of Ignace landfill
- Town Office and Tourist Information Centre
- Public Work Garage
- Ignace Library
- Ignace Recreation Centre
- World Hub
- Ignace Airport
Parks & Beaches
Ignace Skatepark – located at 200 Beaver Street
West Beach – located on West Beach Drive
Agimac Beach – located on West St.
Ignace Baseball Diamond – located on Davey Lake Road
Ignace Soccer Field – located on Pine Street near Lily Pad Road
Ignace Recreation Centre – located at 200 Beaver Street
- Arena ice surface
- Bowling Alley
- Ignace Fitness Centre
- Community Hall
Operations change seasonally. Each season brings different responsibilities to the Department:
- Spring is the season for cleaning the last vestiges of winter. This material is removed through sweeping and flushing operations.
- Summer is the time when construction activities require repairs to roadways, sidewalks, curbs, sewers and ditches. Work includes lawn restoration, pavement patching, permanent repairs, and culvert replacement. In addition, preventative maintenance through catch basin cleaning, sewer flushing, and ditching is implemented to prevent long-term problems.
- Fall construction work involves outstanding summer projects, concrete work, and less weather critical tasks.
- Winter brings operations in road and sidewalk snow plowing, snow removal, sanding. Pothole patching is ongoing during the winter season.