INTEGRATED LAND USE PLANNING PROJECT
The Corporation of the Township of Ignace is positioning the community for long term growth and development. The Township’s Integrated Land Use Planning Project is one of the initiatives being undertaken in support of the Township’s revitalization initiatives. The Township has retained WSP to assist in undertaking the Integrated Land Use Planning Project.
The integrated Land Use Planning Project is comprised of the following three projects:
- Development of a new Community Improvement Plan (CIP);
- Review and update of the Township’s Official Plan (OP); and
- Review and update of the Township’s Zoning By-law (ZBL).
The Community Improvement Plan was completed in August 2018.
The next step is to review and update the OP and ZBL.
What is an Official Plan (OP)?
An OP is a policy document that is created with community input. It will establish a vision, high-level objectives, and policies to manage growth and change in the community. The OP will guide growth and development over the next 20 years, to the year 2038. It is required to be consistent with the Provincial Policy Statement (2014). It will also describe and illustrate:
- Where land uses (e.g. residential, commercial, industrial) should be located in a municipality;
- Where growth should be directed; and
- How important natural, cultural, and recreational features and resources should be protected / enhanced.
The OP would go to Council for adoption and then to the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing (MMAH) for approval.
The Township’s current Official Plan was approved by MMAH in November of 2010 and requires an update to be consistent with the Provincial Policy Statement (2014).
We need the community’s input on this project, so please check this page often for upcoming engagement opportunities, and draft documents for review and comment.
What is a Zoning By-law (ZBL)?
A ZBL is a legal document that implements the policies of an OP. The ZBL translates the land use planning objectives and policies of the OP into detailed standards for how a property in the Township may be developed. The ZBL includes:
- The types of uses that are permitted on a property;
- The types of buildings and other structures that are permitted on a property and where they can be located; and
- Lot sizes and dimensions, parking requirements, building heights and setbacks from streets and/or waterbodies.
The Township’s existing ZBL was approved by Council in 2005. The Zoning By-law is required by the Planning Act to be updated to conform to the Township’s Official Plan.
There will be opportunities for public engagement throughout the OP and ZBL review process. This will include policy workshops, public open houses, and statutory public meetings.
For more details please click on the link. If you have any questions, comments or wish to be notified of upcoming events on this project, please contact:
Special Projects Planner
Township of Ignace
807-934-2202 Ext. 1035